4 March 2011

Biotrue stand

I've been juggling a couple of larger jobs over the last three weeks - and this is one of them. I thrive when given large jobs to sink my teeth into, I feel very fortunate indeed.

I digress, Biotrue is an innovative solution for contact lens care. It has a lubricant that is found naturally in the eye which matches the pH of tears. It sounds impressive to me. I don't wear contact lenses so it doesn't mean to much to me personally, but anything that's natural is great in my book.

Using existing product material from Bausch & Lomb, we had to create a promotional stand for positioning in shopping centres. The stand itself stood 1.2m high and was designed in a series of panels. Unusually, the printer wanted these large panels supplied at 100% and 300dpi. It's typical for a printer to ask for scaled down artwork so the files are manageable - ie. 50% or 25% at 200 or 100dpi. I double checked and triple checked this with the printer, and they insisted I supply the full resolution, full size files. This meant the design process was painfully slow. I believe the largest file was a massively unweildy 9Gb!



Guess what happened when I supplied the files? They complained that they were too large and had ground the printer to a halt. They asked me to resupply them at 10% and 300dpi. The moral of the story is, when you call a printer for specs - make sure you speak to the right person.

The final printing did work out great however.

No comments: