29 March 2012

FSS Website videos

This was the final piece to the jigsaw that is the sleek FSS website. When the website goes live I will post a link for you to take a look at.

FSS had a company in to shoot and edit a few corporate videos.  Unfortunately that company wasn't Rewkachu, they were unaware at that point that we also shoot corporate videos. Unbeknown to the company that created them, the area on the website we had allocated for videos was a different size to what they had shot. This meant that when the web developer (non Rewkachu) placed them, a large portion of the edges were missing and thus cutting off some onscreen text. Apparently the company in question told my client they were too busy to amend them and the website needed to be up in a few days time. They then asked me if I could help, and help without having the original files.  I would have to use a bit of video magic!  I was delighted because it meant they had become aware of the collective Rewkachu skill-set.

The job itself was really simple. There were four two minute videos, and one ten minute video.  I went in to Adobe After Effects and created a composition the exact pixel dimensions that the website required. I then, in turn, took each video and sliced it into camera shots.  This allowed me to physically move each shot left or right depending on what was in the frame. The end result was five new videos which look like they were originally shot in the dimensions I created.  I also decided to replace the FSS logo with a much crisper, cleaner version to the one the original video company had used.  I don't know which company created the original videos, but I certainly wouldn't have passed them to the client in that state!

My client was impressed that I managed to edit and render all of these videos in one day.  To be fair, I thought it would take two days also. 

The most satisfying part came at the end.  When I supplied the newly rendered files to the web developer, despite working on my machine and my clients machine they would not work on the website.  After a little bit of liaising with the web developer we decided on a file format and off I went to re-render them.  He told my client that it would take me a day to get back to them. For your information, the web developer works in a company that also does video. So of course my client thought it was gospel.  Now, I'm not sure if it's something that's common in the industry where people give clients false time to rack up costs, or perhaps the web developer's video editing knowledge is not great.  It took me twenty minutes.  My client thought I was joking when I told him "I'm done, I'll send those over now".

To be fair, video editing is notoriously time consuming, more so that most people realise.  But re-saving five short videos as a different file format is nothing. We at Rewkachu pride ourselves on honesty and efficiency, and being very good looking of course.  I was pleased to make my clients day, and prove the above point. I guess some companies would indeed take a whole day to re-save five files, I personally wouldn't feel right about cheating the people that are giving us work.

No comments: