17 November 2011

DSLR film #1 - Asked to direct

Back at the end of October I was asked to direct an independent horror movie. I jumped at the chance and ever since my mind has been very busy with thoughts & inspiration. The writer of the story and I have been meeting every Thursday to discuss ideas about the plot and characters.

I'm super excited about the possibilities of having free reign over my creative juices. I've been scouting locations and taking photographs. I've already created a timeline that I'd wish to stick to. I will keep you posted with the progress.

The most important information I can give you right now would be the deadline and format. The deadline is set to be October 2013, with the view of getting it submitted and shown at the Telluride Horror Festival. That is the goal.

In regard to the format, I've chosen HDSLR film. I've been so impressed with the quality of movies shot in this format, with this kind of kit that really I have to choose this path. DSLR film is extremely hot right now; the new format gives an incredible amount of freedom to someone with a photographic background. The possibilities seem larger than that of standard film. In short, this is due to the low light capabilities of a DSLR sensor, and the ability to use DSLR lenses with their much smaller f-stops. I know that I will be spending a fair amount of new kit, which is also exciting... I mean... who doesn't fantasize about being a Director?

No comments: